Sunday, July 29, 2007

The 2007 Tour de 'Toona Stages 4-7




















Reading Harry Potter #7 by the bathroom light so the rest of the team could sleep (or so I thought until Kacey snagged this photo of me). Love ya, Kacey.

Stage 4: Hollidaysburg Circuit Road Race
96.6 km / 60.0 mi
This was the worst stage yet for me. The course was relatively flat compared to yesterday and the day before, so I was expecting a little bit of a break. What came was a shock. Lipton and Webcore drilled it from the line. I was in the back on the start line and couldn’t get to the front for the whole first lap of three. I saw the front a couple times on the second lap, but I got dropped on the climb before the finish. I finished the last lap with seven or eight other girls and only lost about 9 minutes. I dropped back to 42nd in the GC. After the race, I got to meet Phil, our team sponsor who followed Theresa Cliff-Ryan from skating to cycling when she made the switch. I finished Harry Potter today and now I can finally rest in peace.

Stage 5: Martinsburg Circuit Road Race
123.6 km / 76.8 mi
This was the easiest stage yet. It started out fast, but slowed up on the second lap of four. There were sprint points available every lap that Theresa was aiming for. They key was to be near the front through town and I made sure that’s what I did the second and third times through. A helicopter followed the race the entire time, getting the whole thing on tape from the air. Sometimes it would swoop down so that it was only feet above the corn fields along the course. Once got close enough to blast us with turbulence and the entire pack swerved. It began to rain on lap three and by the time we were on the same stretch in lap four, the lightning was cracking all around us. It rained so hard that many of us thought at first that it was hailing. Fortunately, the girls took the turns safely. I avoided one crash by hopping up on the curb and into the grass. I finished the race with the group and moved up into 40th in the GC. Still, I was aware that my Achilles tendon was really beginning to bother me. I felt it twinge a little on stage 4, but there’s no doubt about it now. I iced it when we got back to the hotel.

Stage 6: Blair County Road Race
158.5 km / 98.5 mi
This stage is generally thought to be the hardest stage of this tour. It started out alright, but I was really hurting, both my legs and my Achilles. I got dropped about 25 miles in and rolled into the first feed zone with a TIBCO rider. Even riding moderate with her, I could feel the immense strain on my left ankle. There was no way I was going to complete the 10, 3, and 5 mile climbs of the day in that state and make it in before the time cut. I got in the car with Kacey in the feed zone and didn’t finish the race. Theresa won the both sprints of the day for five sprint points each. That night I slept ten and a half hours strait.

Stage 7: Altoona Criterium
48.3 km / 30 mi
I didn’t get to watch the race today because I had to head back to Kutztown with my ride. I heard it was a very fast race. Theresa rode the whole thing with a slow leak in her front tire. She didn’t notice it until after the race. She still came in second in the points competition even with that bit of bad luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We love your blog and reading about the races. Can't wait till you are back in O'town and we won't make you stand on any chairs at Bennigans. Retro Geezer and Bottlerocket