Friday, March 14, 2008

Homeless in Nashville

What am I doing for my spring break? Am I going to beach to work on my tan? Am I lazing around at home all day and going clubbing at night? Perhaps I’ve been flirting with some cute guys or relaxing in front of the TV.

Well, no, nothing quite so exciting. Instead, I’ve been racing my bike, studying, eating, sleeping, and gradually realizing that I live a unique, interesting lifestyle.

It happens that there were collegiate races in Georgia the first and last weekends of spring break. Instead of driving up for both weekends, we decided to stay in Nasvhille for the five days inbetween.

After the race Sunday, Dave and I drove to Nashville. We couldn't get into the apartment yet so we camped out at a Panera a couple miles away. We’d just spent several hours sweating on a bike, followed by several hours in a car. I was wearing sweat pants and a T-shirt, I was exhausted, and my hair had dried salt in it – I needed a shower badly. Dave and I walked in with our backpacks, made our way through the throngs of sophisticated Vanderbilt students, and sat down at one of the tables to wait. It was then that I first realized what it must be like to be homeless - no home. It wasn’t just that we didn’t have a place to stay – with my odor and appearance I was practically living the part. And to top it all off, I didn’t buy any food there. Instead, I brought in some leftovers that I was saving from lunch and ate those. And for a drink? Dave and I brought one coffee and took turns sipping it.

Eventually the guys rolled into town and we moved into the apartment. The shower felt amazing, and I certainly didn’t look homeless anymore. But I still slept on an air mattress at night and had to pull on all my clothes to keep from freezing to death under my one, small blanket.

The next morning, I woke up, grabbed all my stuff (getting dressed was not necessary since I was wearing all my clothes), and went in search of wireless internet. I walked down Church Street and gazed up at the beautiful buildings. I practically tripped over the Nashville Public Library. It was hidden inside this beautiful building with columns that blended right into the architecture of all the other buildings on the street. The library had just opened.

I made my way to the third floor and found a comfortable place at a table. After checking my email and my facebook, I sat back and looked around. The furniture was very nice – it was obviously a new building. As I looked around, I couldn't help but notice how disheveled-looking most of the patrons were. Then it hit me. Who else would be at the library that early on a Monday morning? The people who don’t have to go to work or school or stay home and take care of the kids, the homeless people. Almost everyone there was homeless, and I was beginning to wonder if I should be included in that group. I looked down at myself. Again, I was wearing baggy sweat pants, a t-shirt, and a jacket. And to top THAT all off, I was wearing a hat that had just been given to me. Next thing I know I'll be begging on the street corner for cash. And after this trip is over, I might be poor enough that I’ll have to.

No comments: