Monday, June 25, 2007

Racing in New England - Top U23 Rider















In front of the State House: Providence, RI
Cox Charities Cycling Classic 2007

The Cox Cycling Classic criterium course was in downtown Providence and went right past the State House (above) - very impressive. The race was classified as a "womens' open" race which meant that women of all categories could sign up. So, the race was more sketchy than I was used to. Still, I knew who I had to watch and where I had to be. No one was getting away; It looked like it was going to come down to a field sprint. I won one of the preems early on, but decided to hold back on the later ones to save myself for the finish. I knew I had to watch Mackenzie Dickey (Colavita), and be on her wheel through the last turn. Unfortunately, the race slowed with a couple laps to go, and the group swarmed around me on both sides. With less than a lap to go, I fought back up to the front. I was up there, but I wasn't on Mackenzie's wheel. I ended up 5th, a podium spot, and the top U23 rider by far. I was happy with my result, but I think I could have done better. Next time, I won't sprint in such a tall gear when the sprint is uphill.

Right now, I'm staying with my Aunt and Uncle in a town near Boston, MA. That's the nice part about traveling all over the place for races. You get to see friends and family, meet new people, and see new places. You see the parts of the area that the normal tourists don't get to see. Today I'm racing in Exeter, NH. It's a $1500 crit with not many women signed up. Hopefully I'll make some money.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job on the CCC crit! You're definitely much better at sprinting than you used to be. Tell Aunt Lynn and Uncle David that I say 'hi,' and good luck in Exeter.
Love,
Lizzie :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice job in the crit! We can't wait to see how you do in the F/L race this weekend. Michelle is motorpacing this evening, getting ready for nats. We'll see you there!
Diane
PS we have half of the central florida cyclists reading your blog...