Thursday, June 12, 2008

Frozen Peas - who knew?

As I hit the pavement, curled into a ball, and watched a petite woman in an Aaron's kit flip over my bike, the first thing through my mind was: "Rebecca's going to kill me."

Yesterday's race was probably the craziest race I've ever done. In dry weather, it would have been a regular race, but in wet weather it was mayhem. There were at least 140 girls on the start line, but rumors pinned it at around 150 - more starters than the men's field.

It had been raining all day and continued to rain during the race. There were manhole covers, paint, off-camber turns, everything that makes racing awesome for spectators and painful for riders. Fortunately, my director got me a call up to the line, which I'm ever so thankful for.

First crash happened about 30 seconds in, which started a trend that continued until we crossed the finish line. It was kinda humorous, actually. You'd crash, slide, get up, ride to the pit, get back in, and do it all over again. I only went down that once, but my teammate went down three times, and Rebecca went down at least twice (she called me later to chat and reassure me that she wasn't going to hunt me down). In the end, only 46 of the original 140+ riders finished; I was 20th.

I pedaled painfully back to my teammate's RV and, lacking an ice pack, found a bag of frozen peas that I slapped on my butt to keep down the swelling. Are frozen peas cheaper than the average ice pack? If so, I'm definitely sticking with the peas.

1 comment:

Amanda R. Tosh said...

I read somewhere once that a bag of frozen peas is even more effective than ice. Keep up the badass cycling... I'll talk to you soon.