Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Nature Valley

Nature Valley was humbling. Normally I'm somewhat of a factor in the bigger races, but I just plain couldn't keep up with Kristin Armstrong's pace. I didn't get dropped, but I didn't ride the front either. Even in the criteriums, which are usually my strength, I could only manage to sit in the middle, moving up a few places here and there. I finished mid-pack in the GC, nothing to be ashamed of, but I sure felt worthless.

Two days later, in Trexlertown, I did my first track race in a year. Once again, humbled. I really had no idea what I was doing out there, so I tried to have fun with it. I did my first Kerin ever and missed the final by one spot. I know that everyone in the cycling world has seen this video already, but I figured I'd put it up for those who haven't. This is the Kerin Cup final a couple years ago at the same Trexlertown Track. There's a reason it's famous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGnLDr6jRSI

Easy, right?

I'd like to get better at track since I've got collegiate track nationals coming up in September, and I'd like to get better at road so I can get on a pro team soon. I've got a lot of work ahead of me (not including school), I just hope I can handle it all. I was just looking at my class schedule for next semester, and I'm taking Intermediate Engineering Analysis, Fluid Dynamics, Mechanics of Materials, Circuits, and Circuits Lab. I was thinking about running for the Collegiate Athlete Trustee position that's opening this year, but I'm afraid any more responsibility would make me explode.

Right now I'm just sitting at the house in Kutztown. There's six of us here: me, Mike Niemi and four boys from Atlanta who ride for Kudzu. Jason Snow was here for a little bit, but he left on Sunday to go visit his parents in Massachusetts. The first week I was here, he was on a quest to pants me, which turned into a daily wrestling match, which turned into me slinking around the house trying to keep at 5 foot distance between me and him so I'd have time to run if he jumped. He's a great roommate, and I love him, but I've gotta admit that his absence is somewhat of a relief.


No comments: