Saturday, February 14, 2009

Love and Cycling Survey


I've got a question I'd like answered. I thought I knew the answer, but now I'm not so sure, so I thought I'd ask you, the cycling world, and see what you came up with.

I wouldn't be thinking about this right now if I hadn't gone to Publix today. You see, I'd forgotten it was Valentine's day, that us, until I walked through the doors and had my eyes bombarded with the pinks and reds of flowers, balloons, and heart-shaped boxes of chocolates. I was fine at first, but some time during that 30-minute shopping trip Valentine's Day got to me. I can still see the line of guys at the register waiting to purchase the roses they picked out. None of those roses were for me. There wouldn't be any boxes of chocolates or candlelight dinners when I got home.

So that was it. Now I was depressed. And I was even MORE depressed by the fact that I was depressed in the first place. Why was I letting a made-up holiday get to me!

Now I'm here at home thinking back to a couple separate conversation's I've had with professional and cat 1 cyclists about life, love, and cycling.

Here's the question we have: Is it better for a serious cyclist to date another serious cyclist or someone completely outside of the sport? And if it's better to date someone outside the sport, how should we go about meeting people outside the sport if we spend all our time on our bikes?

If you haven't had this dilemma well then, I hate to break it to you, you're probably as serious a cyclist as you thought you were.

7 comments:

TD_CBCS said...

I guess I should be depress after reading this. I already celebrate the day with food allergy...

Those are quite good questions single cyclists should ask. The probability are pro/pro, pro/semi-pro, pro/non-cyclist, semi-pro/semi-pro, and semi-pro/non-cyclist. Yikes!

At least you only have to worry about the first three. Here're the scenarios:

Pro/Pro - different races, different hotels most of season unless both are in a co-ed team. Pretty sure their kid(s) will be cycling star(s).

Pro/semi - one stay home doing local rides or races, the other one's traveling. Maybe they'll get to ride together once in a while. Matching the speed may be an issue. Hal-Corey is the good example I can think of. They seem really happy.

Pro/non-cyclist - one stay home and take care of the kids, I guess. You have to ask Lance, don't think it work out that well for them.

Too lazy to type out the rest but you got the idea.

Bottle Rocket said...

Jackie, you're making my head hurt!

ok, so I just wrote a long response to your question when my mom looked over my shoulder, as says "Well, if it weren't for serious cyclist dating serious cyclist, then Jackie wouldn't exist." delete goes my long response.
So that is going to be my answer.

Anonymous said...

I'm a social cyclist and so is my husband. On Valentines Day I traveled 50 miles to the west and he went 50 miles to the NE. As we were leaving the house he said "HVD". I said "you too" How romantic. So in answer to your question. It really doesn't matter, it's just another Hallmark day.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it matters what the mix is. I think the best combination assuming one of them is a pro would be to have the other be an amateur/enthusiast. I say this because the non-pro cyclist would understand the lifestyle and want to support you in your endeavors. Plus when you lose they won't stay stupid shit like "its just a bike race". I could punch a girl in the face everytime she says that. Similar comments ruined more than one relationship.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

When some of us talk about "mixed marriages" it has nothing to do with race or religion, but with this whole cyclist/non-cyclist issue.

Robyn said...

just catching up with you now...
i am NOT a serious cyclist. wheni started seeing goldenboy, a year ago, the most i'd ridden at a time was 10 miles. he rides 300-350 miles a week. and he races every weekend, 2nd in FPS 2009 [masters 55+, JRC kit, we'll have to say hello one day]
since we met, i've done the MS150 [which was actually the MS 186] in sept 2008 and will be doing the MS150 in may and in oct 2009. i bike trails and with groups now, clock 20-30 routinely, average 18 mph, up sugarloaf at 14 and down at 39.

he's 55, i'm 50. he's been married a few times before, was a bit of a manwhore in his youth.

i'm the first woman he's ever been involved with who would even get on a bike, let alone say, 'okay race is over. now i need training miles. van fleet trail is 10 minutes from here. let's go. 30 miles only.'

i see so many men and women out there at the races by themselves ALL THE TIME. i can understand not being there every race, i have kids but NEVER?

it ends up being another schism in the relationship. when something is that important to your partner you have to respect it and have some interest in it even if you don't want to indulge yourself. you have to be able to let them glow.

my ex was/is an expert marksman. i have NEVER touched a gun. but i supported his hobby and was proud of him when he brought home a tight grouping. my cycling habit? he HATED it. it got me ouot of the house. i rode every day from 6 to 7am, before the kids got up, and he still hassled me.

so. even if one is just a rank amateur, as i was, the partner has to be supportive. or else it becomes a symptom of the larger issues.

Vicious Cycle said...

it is never easy. a non cyclist will not understand the euphoria and to share it as well.

you think cycling is prickling? try those in triathlon.3x time issues and probability ? :)

i can share the same mindset as everyone here. it is an lifestyle some will hate and some thinks its uber cool. Birds of same feathers flock together. :)

good day :) i stumble upon this looking for enlightenment as well.