Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Pictures from Camp

When you sign with a team you can never know for sure what you're getting in to. Of course you know what your contract says, what they'll be providing for you, and what races you'll be doing, but there's really a lot more to it.

I flew out to California not really knowing what to expect. I knew I was supposed to meet a shuttle at the Santa Barbara airport which would take me to the team's hotel, but I didn't know much beyond that. What would I'd be doing while I was out there? If you asked me that before I left, I would probably have told you I'd be riding all the time. Well, I was wrong. Camp was an eclectic cross between a buisness conference, a diabetes camp, and a cycling camp. If we weren't in meetings, at photo shoots, or on our bikes we were trying to get some sleep!

In the meetings we learned about the history of the team and our title sponsors, Lantus and Apidra. My teammates' glucose monitors beep to tell them if their blood sugar is getting either too high or too low. Phil Southerland would be speaking to us, a glucose monitor would beep, and he would pause and jokingly say, "Stop interrupting and get your blood sugar under control!" It was such a positive atmosphere.

Below is a guy from the camera crew who was filming the filming for a documentary about the team.

I also got to meet my team mates who are all amazing cyclists and amazing people. Two of my team mates, Morgan and Monique, are living with Type 1 diabetes. They are living proof that people with diabetes can do anything a normal person can - even be a professional bike racer! Below is a picture of Sam and me. Sam's the youngest one on the team, but she can rock a sprint like the best of them!

Out on a training ride!

Getting pretty for the camera!

Monique and Me between shoots.

And this is what I had to leave when I came back to Florida. I was sad to go, and even more sad when I realized how much school work I'd have to do after being absent for ten days.

But right now, Redlands is on my mind. It's time to train.

Oh, and be sure to follow our men's team in the upcoming Tour of California!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can personally attest that you also did a lot of homework between all those meetings, riding and even (some) sleeping.